Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bon Voyage to My Mickey's....

Only a few of you have known me long enough to know that in my junior and senior year of high school I was 150% obsessed with Mickey Mouse. All of my t-shirts were emblazoned with Mickey in some form or fashion. My clock on the wall was a huge wrist watch with Mickey on the face, my telephone was Mickey Mouse, I had lots of posters on the walls and more than enough plush Mickey's & Minnie's for several people to enjoy. I have a Mickey that talks to you and one that dances and of course there is a set of hand puppets to go with the rest. I have a set that were made for me for graduation and have my school and 1987 embroidered on their grad gown (I'll be keeping them). I was even Mickey Mouse for halloween one year and my picture is in lots of scrapbooks in Japan because all of the Japanese people walking up and down the strip on Waikiki beach that night wanted their picture taken with me, I think that was the year that they got a Disney World in Japan (if I remember correctly).

Yes, obsession was definitely the word to describe my collection of the cutest most adorably innocent mouse that was ever created. I loved him, he made me smile and but when I got married my husband was not quite so crazy about said mouse. In time I gave in and they were moved to the guest room on the daybed and eventually gave way and they have been stored in rubbermaid bins in the shed for quite some time now. I am having a yard sale with my mother-in-law in a few weeks and began thinking of things to place in the sale over the weekend. All those sweet unique faces popped into my mind and my first thought was no way I can't get rid of them. Then gradually the thought became a little easier to bear.

Why am I keeping them? The memories of them are ingrained in my brain and letting them go does not disrespect the people who bought them over 20 years ago. I am horrible about that, if somebody buys me something it has to be displayed forever before I feel like I can rotate and put something else in its place. I'm always afraid somebody will think I didn't appreciate their gift. I've been working on that, a thank you note really should be enough to say thank you I appreciate you, appreciation doesn't mean leaving things out for 20 years to save somebody's feelings. This is a new concept for me and it has actually been kind of freeing.

Dawn N. gave me a great idea and I don't know why I had not thought of it myself. I am going to get all the Mickey items I have and set them up and take several pictures and do a 2 page layout. This will be a great way to keep the memories for myself and future generations yet make it easier to let them go. Again why didn't I think of this...I mean I am a scrapbooker, sheesh. I think I just wasn't ready to let go of them and maybe now I am and maybe you don't even care but it was on my mind and I figured why not post about it, this is my blog right, and it can be about whatever I want and what is on my mind right?

So there ya have it, all about my high school obsession and how I'm choosing to let go (I think).

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is an EXCELLENT idea to do a LO aobut your Mickies! I can't wait to see it. My best friend LOVES Mickey too!!

Braxton's Mommy said...

Awww how sad and great at the same time.. I am the same way with my Barbies. I started collecting them when i was in 11th grade and they are sitting in boxes in the attic and my moms attic i have so many but its just so hard to part with them..!!