Friday, March 28, 2008

Fun Time Friday!

I love Fridays! I thought it was time for a "just because" post. I think I've been way to "deep" in thought this week and though my posts were thought provoking, I'm in the mood for fun today. Unfortunately I have to be at work, but that's okay too, because well, it's Friday and that means the weekend is upon us.

I am sooooo very excited. Those of you who know us and our "yard" issues every year, will understand when I say that it is the end of March and my grass has already been cut 2 times!!

In 1998 we bought our brand new double wide mobile home and 2.64 acres to go with it. We were so excited to be land owners. We had no idea what we were getting into. Neither of us are "outside" people. Well, this was the beginning of what turned into quite a few years of distress. We had an old riding lawn mower we got from my dad, it was not very big and it took 3 hours to cut the part of the land that we were actually calling our yard. It was crazy. We ended up about 2 years later purchasing a larger mower to cut our time back some. Not to mention we had also cut the size of what we were calling our yard in half and letting the other part be overgrown.

Well during this process we also figured out that we were living in what we now call "Soggy Bottom" (got that from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"). Our land is low lying and well you can probably figure out from our special name for our homestead it holds water horribly. It never failed that the months of March & April would be very wet ones. Therefore, by the time it dried out our yard looked like an overgrown field. It was horrible, all of the neighbors had pretty green well manicured yards and there was us...ugh. About 5 years ago our lawn mower bit the dust. We hired a guy to start cutting the yard. He was fabulous and it relieved some stress, but he didn't start coming till after the wet season, so we still had the issue of being overgrown. Then 2 years ago he decided to join the railroad and quit doing lawn care, that was a very sad day for us. He had spoiled us badly with his great care of our yard. We did find another man to take up where he left off and he cut it the spring/summer of 2006 and spring/early summer of 2007. About midsummer last year we decided it was time to buy a new mower and put that $100/month towards something that we'd at least own when it was over. (Are you bored yet?)

So, July 0f 2007 we purchased a nice shiny new red riding mower. I love it, it has cruise control and its mine! It was a great decision and I know it now more than ever. Having our own mower meant that when the grass started growing that I could cut the grass, not all of it, because there are a few soggy spots, in fact the first time I cut it I got stuck in the mud and Rocky had to rescue me and my pretty red Toro, but last night I cut it again and managed to get all but one small corner cut down to size. This might seem like a minor thing to some, but it is something that brought great stress on me every year, so for me it is truly something to be excited about.

Now....onto today, it's Friday, hopefully will be a nice quiet day at work and maybe the time will go by quickly and then I GET TO SCRAP!! It has been way to long since I was able to scrap just for the sake of scrappin and I can't hardly wait. I will be doing it just for fun, no projects for anybody else, just me! Please clock move fast!

Hope everybody else has a great Friday, I'm going to do my best to make mine a Fun Time. God Bless and have a fabulous weekend...I'm starting Weight Watchers tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a good testimony on Monday on what a great weekend I had.

3 comments:

Kaye said...

I wish I could see my yard. I woke up to snow on the ground this morning. I am NOT a Happy Camper today.

Braxton's Mommy said...

Yeah WW's!! I am so pround of you!! Now I will have someone to discuss my WW journey with!! WOO HOO!!

Yuck on the yard we have a soggy spot in our yard that we have to cut around but its not as big as yours sounds. Its just where our washing machine drains for some stupid reason!!

Amy said...

We have a Soggy Bottom too, Robin. Thank goodness it's not actually part of our yard....it's in the front field & it's my uncle who has to mow around it when they're cutting hay.