Friday, January 25, 2008

Freezing Friday....

It is so cold outside and the bridges are icing in Vicksburg. I am really hoping that it doesn't happen here in the Hinds County area because I really would like to go home at 5:00 and not be stuck here because of icy roads. I know you must be thinking what can we do about icy roads? Absolutely nothing. But because weather incidents fall under the heading of Emergency Management we would sit here and listen to the radio and take phone calls and alert people of where the roads were icing over and if there are any trees down or areas to avoid. The field officers would probably be out looking at the icy roads and reporting back to us in the dungeon about what they see. So, yes, though we don't really have a true function other than helping communicate what is happening in our county to the weather service, we would definitely still be here. We just had a conference call and you would think after working in this field since 1998 that I would have a pretty good idea what the heck they are talking about but, um not necessarily the truth. About 3/4 of what they say is still over my head. Somebody just came through here and said they are doing another conference call at 11:00...sheesh...why do I feel like this is going to be a long day?



On a good note it is Friday and I opted to check the scale this morning and it said 281 without any manipulating of where I was standing or having to try more than once, so that was a good feeling. If you read my prior weigh in post you would know that I had to get on and off about 4 times on Wednesday to finally get it to tell me what I wanted it to...shame on me I know. But now I feel better about it. Whew.



You are all probably really tired of hearing about it but it is only 24 days till we sail. Our income tax refund came in today so now we can book our excursion tomorrow night when we go to D&J's house for trip planning! We are all so excited. It is such a dream come true to go on a fabulous vacation with my best friend (since I was 12) and know that we are going to have the time of our lives. I think we are planning to take a jeep/beach resort excursion. We'll get to see all of the beautiful pink flamingos in Progresso and Dawn & I can't wait. I don't know that the guys could really careless about that part, but I'm sure they'll love the jeep ride and the beach resort with all the hotties in bikinis. We should get to enjoy the flamingos. What a great scrapbook page that will be!! (The flamingos not the hotties in bikinis.)

Well, now it's 1:07 and thank God for "auto save" on this site because I sure closed it up to go to lunch and was very thankful when I got back and saw that it had saved this as a draft. I was not going to be happy if I had typed all of this and it was gone. Whew.

Still not sure what the weather is going to do. My boss did recommend to all Hinds County, Jackson Public and Clinton Schools that they close early. His thinking was better safe than sorry. The temps are still not rising and the precip is supposed to be back in the area between 2 & 4. I'm seriously hoping it will get better and I don't have to stay and work late.

Well, I think that is all of my ramblings for this dreary cold wet freezing Friday in January.

No comments: